Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Prop Dusting - Wizards of the Coast Spell Cards

I recently acquired a bunch of the arcane and cleric spell cards produced by Wizards of the Coast for D&D 5e. Along with those I picked up a number of smaller 4 pocket page, side loading binders from Vault X, to use as spell books/prayer books for the players in my campaign.

It is very early into use, but it appears to be a handy resource to have at the table. Instead of leafing through the Players Handbook to find their spell information, their individual known spells are conveniently at their fingertips. 

Also bought was the deck containing spells from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Those spells will be trickled into play when discovered as scrolls or when sought from other spellcasters.

Some reviews on Amazon have noted that there may be some spells missing from the deck. I have not taken the time to sit down and go through to verify this for myself, but from a quick flip through the cards I believe that is a misunderstanding. I suspect that the "missing spells" are in other decks like the Ranger, and Warlock specific decks for example.

Though the cards are expensive when you need to buy multiples to have a deck for each spellcaster in your group (when you have a large group like I do), they could very well prove worthwhile. The binders are surprisingly affordable for as nice as they are and have plenty of space.

If the players were to buy their own decks it would relieve the DM of the cost, but this was my idea and we do have casualties resulting in changes to the classes of characters in play meaning it is more efficient for me to buy the decks and keep them available for the group. Fortunately I have a filing cabinet to store a bunch of gaming stuff like these cards.









No comments: