Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Prop Dusting - Wizards of the Coast Monster Cards

Another recent purchase for the game was all of the Monster Cards produced by Wizards of the Coast for D&D 5e.

These have already come in very handy. If you plan out the majority of your encounters in advance you can have the cards ready at the table and avoid having to flip through the large Monster Manual in front of you when trying to manage the game. For my own use, I have a Vault X 4 pocket binder to take the selected cards for the session to the table. I can have everything I need behind the DM screen and still have extra space which did not happen with the Monster Manual in the way.

For storage I went with the Forged Dice Co Curiosities Cache Monster Card & Spell Card Organizer Binder with Pages (Mimic Edition). At the time I bought them the Mimic Edition was on sale for $10 less than the plain unadorned cover version. I bought four of them. I'm still sorting and alphabetizing the cards into the binders, but this makes locating what you want easier without spilling a pile of cards. The binders come with two types of pockets, normal for the regular sized cards and a two pocket version for the larger cards.

The one drawback is the Epic Monster cards. These things are huge, which is necessary to hold all the relevant information, but it does make it a requirement to use a single page of the two pocket type to hold a single card. Did I mention the Epic cards are huge?

The cards and the Forged Dice Binders are costly, but not prohibitively so. For the ease and convenience they provide I feel the investment is worth it.








No comments: