Sunday, March 18, 2012

John Carter of Mars - Before viewing

In some brief scanning of the blogs I have found 3 reviews (more are likely out there) of the movie from members of the OSR blog community. Of those, 2 were positive and 1 absolutely panned the movie saying it sucked.

I'll be seeing it in IMAX 3D this afternoon and afterward I can report back with my thoughts.

Here's a shameful admission: I have not read the books. My knowledge of John Carter and Barsoom comes from what others have mentioned in passing over the years. I've been well aware of these stories existing, but not once have I made the effort to pick them up and read them.

Part of that reason is that I for a long time held a bias against most sword and planet stories. Sci-fi in my Fantasy? eewwww!

That bias gave way quite some time back and still I have not picked up the Barsoom stories. I'll get there. Heck, I only just read Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance (and loved the stories).

I'm looking forward to this excursion to the movies with some friends and their kids since it will allow a number of us to see with new eyes what this is all about. Also the last 3D film I saw was one from the 1950's.

Stay tuned for the film review later.

No comments: