Saturday, September 10, 2011

Trying to shake a nasty cold.

Yuck. I've been mostly resting and trying not to do much other than sleep so I've had time to think and of course watch a little bit of TV to alleviate some of the boredom.

I was watching Dr. Who and the follow-up show Ask a Whovian tonight when it hit me that the Weeping Angels from the show are the kind of scary that gargoyles should be scary. The question still remains then, how to make that work in the game?

Anyone that has played the game for some time has likely run into gargoyles and now they are paranoid whenever around statues. This was born out by the reaction my players had to discovering some stone statues on the second level of the tower they discovered. The first thing they did upon finding the statues was to have a dwarf give them each a good whack, dulling one blade of his axe.

There needs to be a way to put the genie back in the bottle, but not just for one good scare. It has to be something that can both creep the players out in the long run and put them at ease when around statues at other times. But how?

I don't yet have an answer, though I am pondering some possibilities. If you readers have some ideas please leave comments.

No comments: